So this was a quick breakfast inspired by lettuce. Yep, lettuce. I’ve been wanting to make lettuce wraps for a while now but could never bring myself to ditch the tortilla, but seeing how I was out of them yesterday morning, I got to make my lettuce wraps.
Easy peasy instructions: Scramble eggs and serve in a lettuce leaf.
Slightly more instruction:
- Scramble eggs. I mixed mine with a little sour cream, salsa and nutritional yeast for a cheesy texture.
- Wash your lettuce and dry carefully (I did not dry and my wraps were a little juicy)
- Fill lettuce leaves with scrambled eggs. Sprinkle chia seeds and cilantro.
I’m giving up milk. Not dairy all together, just milk to start. I put it in my coffee and I chug it when I’m hungover; I put it on my oatmeal and add it to my baking- none of which are good excuses for tugging on boobies until they are raw. It’s a baby step to becoming vegan. Other dairy products will follow, but for now, milk, from a carton is the first on my hit list. Wish me luck…
So this easy Breakfast Tostado depicts what was in my fridge yesterday, and really showcases how lazy I was. I could have chopped up the last of the red pepper or pre-cooked a sweet potato, but I wasn’t in the mood, and to be honest, it’s because I left breakfast too late and was getting a little hangry. It was still delicious tho, and I mean really, it’s hard to fuck up refried beans, cheese and eggs.
This is what I did, and it took me about 15min to prep, cook and devour. Oh, and this time I used a fresh corn tortilla. I had never bought them like this before, but I’ve heard that they are slightly healthier than the flour ones, so I thought I’d try them out. Yum…
- Slather a generous helping of refried beans on the fresh corn tortilla. Dollop on some sour cream and a little salsa for kick. Spread it around.
- Sprinkle on cheese and pan fry until cheese is ooey, gooey good and tortilla is crispy.
- Fry an egg to your desired yolkiness. Mine was perfect this time-runny but with a little thickness to it so it didn’t make a huge mess on my t-shirt.
- Throw some alfalfa sprouts on the tortilla, put the egg on top of that, and then top it all with cilantro…mmm…cilantro.
Today’s breakfast was Spinach Scramble with Refried Beans, Fried Tomatoes and Walnuts because, ‘That’s What was in the Fridge.’ It looks a little messy ‘cuz I tried to cook it all in one pan thinking it would be so pretty, but once the beans were added, it became a bit sloppy. Nonetheless, it was still delicious. Simple directions below for 2 pans 😉
- Sautee green onion, celery and peppers until tender. Add a handful of chopped spinach. Mix around for a moment.
- Add eggs. I mix mine with sour cream, salt, pepper and dried parsley (but fresh if i had it) and a little nutritional yeast.
- Add walnuts and tomato slices sprinkled with salt and pepper to pan and lightly fry. Walnuts should get a little crunchy and tomatoes should get a little soft.
- Dollop on a scoop of refriend beans and warm it up. I added a little cumin to my beans, but honestly, I didn’t like it with my eggs.
- Plate your food and devour.
If you’ve read a couple of my posts, you already know I like bite size things. I also really like crunchy and salty. These are the perfect bites to quell my cravings. Cucumber slices topped with your favourite spreads, nuts, seeds, cheese and fruit. Whatever you have-the possibilities are endless.
First spread your dip, then pile on your toppings. Make more than you think you will eat. Trust me-so delish. Here’s what I had on mine:
- Spreads: tzatziki or tahini (first time ever tasting tahini and quite enjoyed it. )
- Nuts: Cashews, Pecans (my favourite!) or walnuts
- Seeds: Pumpkin or sunflower and sprinkled with chia and sesame
- Cheese: Feta. Just delicious, crumbly, salty chunks of feta
- Fruit: red grapes ‘cuz that’s what I had, and a couple raisins (but would have loved to have had goji berries but I have yet to buy them because they are so freaking expensive!$)
- Create and Devour.